Dear Colleagues and members of the American Association of Psychiatric Administrators,
I am privileged to be one among you for the coming 2 years.
Much was accomplished in networking, leading changes in the care of patients treated in public sector psychiatry, and teaching others about leadership in the past. We have a great journal that is driven by the energy of Sy Saeed. Several of our members have delivered award lectures, directed courses at the American Psychiatric Association Annual meeting, and planned symposia and workshops. Our thanks go to all of them.
In the years ahead, we need to focus on several aspects of our organization:
- Inclusion of younger members who will bring new thoughts and ideas to our group
- Increase in membership driven by those of you who are mentors, teachers, and leaders- we need only to target one or two energetic young colleagues each. Residents join for free
- Rebranding ourselves and restating our mission to differentiate from other organizations
- Inclusion of members from other countries
- Awarding those who wish to be part of our group by essay, article, or other contests
- Regrouping periodically to converse about our goals and direction
I look forward to your ideas and input and promise to talk to you in person if you send me and Frances your phone number for direct contact, and to your active participation
Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry at the Johns Hopkins Hospital
Clinical Professor, Cooper Medical School at Rowan University
Associate Professor, Schools of Medicine, Health Policy and Management and Armstrong Institute of Patient Safety.